A global health services company in the Fortune 100 was losing $30 to $40 million annually due to inefficiencies in their claims management processes and systems. To improve alignment of initiatives, maximize outcomes, and gain a more holistic view of its entire project portfolio, management established a Core Operations Program Delivery Office. The goal: improve visibility into programs and projects to drive efficiencies in the core operational areas of claims, eligibility, and billing.
They lacked a structured, integrated process for handling the dynamic project portfolio and did not have the specialized expertise to drive the initiative forward. As a result, they were unable to prioritize, execute, and manage the project portfolio well enough to achieve their financial objectives.
- Process optimization + automation
- Technology modernization
Celerity deployed a team of six experts to help the client gain a more holistic and integrated portfolio view across the core operational areas of claims, eligibility, enrollment, and billing. Our team—comprised of senior program managers, a master scheduler, and a communications expert—facilitated work sessions with the client’s subject matter experts to assess and develop current and future state processes.
We updated, standardized and integrated the fragmented project portfolio by developing:
- An integrated program planning and delivery model.
- A consolidated intake and capacity management approach.
- Standard program and project status reporting.
The new program delivery office matured the client’s program and project management discipline and enabled the team to automate and standardize its estimating and planning processes. We also standardized the use of technology tools across the organization, providing a common technology platform for program and project management processes. With a more holistic and integrated portfolio view, this initiative enabled the visibility and governance needed to drive change.
- Reduced the cycle time for the project intake process from 20 days down to 10 days, driving project intake to completion in a more timely manner.
- Conducted master scheduling and planning to integrate projects and programs across the portfolio.
- Trained and mentored program managers on the discipline of effective program management.